Thursday, June 12, 2008

Are you in the Club?

My Mom and I went shopping today. Her 40th class reunion is coming up, so naturally, we had to find a dress for her to wear. After finding said dress, we had to go bra shopping. Which after buying certain types of dresses, you would need to get a new bra. She didn't need a new bra for the dress, but wanted one.

A few weeks ago, she decided to go get remeasured for her bra. Since 80% of the female population is wearing the wrong size bra, she thought she'd make sure she was wearing the right size. But, low and behold, the store she went too didn't do a good job measuring her, and she wanted a second opinion. So off to the lingerie section of the store we went.

Now, I really don't like shopping for underwear. I only buy it if I absolutely need too. I have over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders that are YEARS old, that's how much I don't like this kind of shopping. My Mom explains to the Sales clerk what she's looking for and gets measured. She's in the 80% club. Of course I get sucked into the dressing room to help my Mom find the perfect bra. After about the 10th try-on, she finds one she likes.

I decide at this point to have "the girls" remeasured, since, its been about 10+ years. With age, weight loss, and weight gain, what's the harm? Now, I'm in the 80% club. The Salesclerk is a doll, and goes out looking for bras for me now. It seems I'm defiantly a larger cup size than I thought, and was wearing the wrong 30 something size. Which is why the straps kept falling down, it was riding up my back, and I wasn't ever getting enough coverage in the front.

I learned many things in my bra fitting today. First, a woman can go up a bra size and have a smaller cup, OR go down a bra size and have a larger cup size. Apparently they equal each other out. So, do I want the larger bra size or cup size???? Second, bra shopping is like dress shopping. Maybe you wear a Size 4 for Ann Taylor, but an 8 in Nine West. Only you might wear a 34C in Wonderbra, but a 36B in Maiden Form. Choices, choices. Third, a bra should be put on at the lowest clip in the back, with enough room for two fingers to go behind it comfortably. If you can't put two fingers behind, then it's too small. Too many fingers behind, then it's way too big. Fourth, if the cups make you spill out in the front, you need a larger cup size, if there is a gap between you and the bra, you need a smaller cup size.

It's sad to be 30, and find out how to wear a bra properly.

Next, I start trying on bras. I get critiqued by my Mom and the Salesclerk. Which was amusing. "Nope, take it off, it's too tight. Ohhh that one looks nice. No, it just doesn't do anything for you. Too much skin coming out of the top. Oh, you've got back cleavage. That doesn't look good......."

I find the perfect one. I mean perfect! It felt so comfortable that I didn't want to take it off. My Mom and I were tempted to put on our brand new bras in the dressing room after we paid for them. Our old ones just didn't feel good and we both loathed the thought of walking around for the rest of the day in them. Alas, we didn't change. The minute I got home, the new bra went on, and it is soooooo comfortable.

I can't believe I'm this excited about a new bra. What excites me more, is knowing that I really do have to go shopping for new clothes. Darn.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ha! Too funny :) I learned about this and have since seen it as my mission in life to get my friends (and acquaintances) into the right bras. No idea how I missed you1 One more thing though - if you buy the bra so it fits in the outer-most hook (on the band) it will last you longer. The bra will stretch as you wash and wear it and that way you will have the option of tightening it when it does.
yay for well-fitting bras. And it does feel so much better, doesn't it?!

By the way - bigger cup size, all the way. who needs to be bigger around? :)