Saturday, December 8, 2007

Christmas Traditions


As I child, I loved Christmas. I still do. The snow on the ground crunching under my boots. The smell of the Christmas tree wafting through the house. Eating cookies, drinking egg nog. Watching the lights reflect off the Christmas ornaments. What's not to love?
Through the years I've tried to express how much I love Christmas to my husband, without much luck. I have 8 boxes of Christmas ornaments for our Christmas tree! My husband does not like all the boxes of Christmas stuff. He imposed a ban on me this year. I'm not allowed to buy anymore...of course, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him.

Since it's our first Christmas, I thought we would sit around decorating the tree, drinking eggnog, eating homemade cookies, and listen to Christmas carols on the radio. Right...me and my imagination went running wild again.

It went like this....My husband took the pre-lit tree out of the box. Since a row of lights went out, he replaced them. While this is going on, he's playing hip-hop music through the TiVo. I asked him to turn it off numerous times to no avail. Hip Hop Music ISN'T CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Then, we had to make sure the tree was straight. I'm holding onto this tree while he's tightening the screws to make it stand straight. While my hand is still holding onto the tree, he tells me that he'll be back in a minute. I'm still holding onto the tree 10 minutes later, and no husband. I have no idea where in this tiny townhouse he's hiding.

I'm get tired of hearing his music on, so I am now able to put on Christmas music. This is how you decorate a tree, a person needs to hear Ella, Frank, Bing and Nat singing on the radio, to get you in the Christmas spirit. Lovingly the ornaments are put on our tree. I pull out the ones that we collected from our trips: our honeymoon, Florida, San Fran., Montreal, to name a few.
I look over at the t.v screen at one point and have a fit. The TiVo screen saver has Hip Hop Album covers... I see a scary Mos Def wrapped like a mummy looking at the viewer through his uncovered eyes. It freaked me out and left me feeling as though I should be getting ready for my death or Halloween. Not Christmas.

The tree is finally done, and my husband still hasn't appeared. I find him sitting in front of the computer playing......so much for the start of our Christmas holiday traditions.


1 comment:

Sara said...

I decorated my tree mostly by myself too. Must be a guy-thing. Then Lucas proceeded to remove all the ornaments he could reach (fortunately I was foresightful enough to put all the plastic ornaments on the bottom of the tree!) - maybe that's a guy-thing too....
By the way, the east coast is almost like Canada - come here instead!!