Monday, December 3, 2007

A Weighty Issue

Thanksgiving in America. A time to eat your favorite things like Grandma's pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, and Aunt Marge's famous turkey. Its a time for love. Joy, peace, and happiness to all. If you're family looks like a Rockwell painting...

Mine started out that way, until my Mom made the sweet comment..."I don't think you could even fit into your wedding dress now". This in front of my husband of 6 months and my father-in-law! Thanks Mom.

My dear husband later in the week makes the comment that perhaps I should go check out a fitness center. I hear claims of myself not getting out of the house enough, not socializing, and the cold weather as a push to go check it out. He secretly agrees with my mother and it hurts me.

I haven't gained THAT much weight. 10 lbs of water weight from that stupid pill. I haven't even changed a clothing size.

I walk into "Workout World for Women" and see all these Middle-aged Moms laughing in their matching workout gear. I hate it already. They look at me and give me fake smiles. I'm half-way out the door, until one of them pulls me back in. I just wanted to check the place out and find out how much a membership would cost. Can I do that? NO.

First, I am asked a questionnaire about my age, goals, etc. Then it becomes more torturous. They asked me to get on that dreaded doctor's scale. You know the one. Its in your doctors office that weighs you in at a good 10-20lbs MORE than your scale at home. Now, I'm really irritated. The scale actually said to get off. I was too fat for it to handle and I was going to break it. Just what I needed to hear from a scale.

As if a stranger knowing my weight isn't humiliating enough, I get measured. Bust, waist, hips, thighs, arms, etc. I'm in trouble now. I can see on this piece of paper how fat I really am. I'll never be a supermodel judging by what she wrote down.

Finally, she tells me how much their program costs. I only want a 3 month membership. Not possible. When I leave, this stranger who knows more about my body size than my own husband, won't make eye contact. She knows I won't be returning.

I feel defeated. My husband is out of town. It's too cold to go for a walk, and there's no junk food to eat to make myself feel better...

No comments: