Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Name Game

Growing up I always knew that when I got married, I would take my husband's last name. It was a no-brainer. Since my husband and I are planning on immigrating back to his homeland, I didn't bother changing it. It would screw up the immigration process, plus I'd have to get a new passport, which would take till pigs fly to return back to me.

Recently, my darling got a certified letter in the mail. Since I'm not working, I got to take care of it. I give the nice postmaster my little postcard to retrieve this letter. He asks for id. I give him my drivers license, on it is my parent's address and my maiden name. No good. I give him my Christmas cards that I'm sending out, which have my handwriting and our address label on them. He gives me this look like "Yeah, right lady". I had to give him a copy of my marriage license and explain to him that I didn't take my husbands last name. I spent a good five minutes talking this postmaster into giving my my husband's letter. I'm miffed by this whole experience.

It got me thinking....why do I even have to take his last name? I've had mine for 30 years. I'm quite fond of it. It doesn't bother me that I get letters from loved ones with my married name on it. I like seeing my name written that way. But, why do I have to change it?

Why do I have to prove that he is my husband? I've had to pull out my marriage license so many times, that I actually keep a copy in my wallet. In a world where id theft is prevalent, this is what I am reduced too. Now, what happens if my wallet gets stolen?

My only resolve is to take my husband's last name. One of my goals in the new year is to change it, but first I have to do research. Because one piece of advice that brides never hear, is how to change their name. There is this secret society that married women belong to, that refuse to divulge how to do it. Once I find the secret, I plan on sharing it.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You are too funny. Six years later, I am actually still walking around with this eerie feeling that I haven't legally changed my name and when I go to get a new passport/ dl/ whatever, they will arrest me for fraud. Good luck with that :)

Hugs, Sara